New Christmas ornaments featuring the Helena Museum of Phillips County are now available for purchase at the Delta Cultural Center museum store.



 



The new ornament design is the fourth in a series of ornaments celebrating historical structures in the Helena area.



 



The sale of each ornament is to be set aside to aid the Helena Museum, DCC Director Katie Harrington noted.

 



New Christmas ornaments featuring the Helena Museum of Phillips County are now available for purchase at the Delta Cultural Center museum store.



 



The new ornament design is the fourth in a series of ornaments celebrating historical structures in the Helena area.



 



The sale of each ornament is to be set aside to aid the Helena Museum, DCC Director Katie Harrington noted.



 



Helena Museum of Phillips County is located at 623 Pecan St. The description on the back of the ornament reads: “The structure on the right was built in 1891 and served as the county library until 2010. It was the first public building erected in Arkansas. The museum addition was built in 1929. Both structures now serve as the Helena Museum with collections including Native American and Civil War artifacts, American/European art, and Thomas Edison memorabilia. Listed on the National Register.”



 



Past designs, also available, feature:



 



Helena Depot at 95 Missouri St. owned and operated by the Delta Cultural Center as part of its museum complex. The ornament description on the reverse reads: “Helena Depot, built circa 1912, was acquired by Missouri Pacific Railroad when it purchased St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern Railway in 1917. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987, the renovated Depot reopened in 1990 as a museum of the Delta Cultural Center, an agency of the Department of Arkansas Heritage.”



Estevan Hall at 653 S. Biscoe St. The description on the ornament’s reverse reads: “Estevan Hall was built in 1826 by Fleetwood and Millander Hanks, and remained in the Hanks family until 1996. When the Civil War began, the family moved to Iowa, returning to Helena in 1865.  During the war, Union forces occupied the house. It is a beautiful example of Spanish Colonial architecture. Listed on the National Register in 1974; and



Helena’s beloved Doughboy statue at the intersection of Cherry and Perry streets. The description on the reverse of the ornament reads:



“The Spirit of the American Doughboy” is a pressed copper statue sculpted by E.M. Viquesney, designed to honor the veterans and casualties of World War I. It was mass-produced during the 1920s and ‘30s for communities across the U.S. and depicts a doughboy walking through shattered tree stumps strung with barbed wire. Listed on the National Register.”



 



Gallery hours at the DCC Visitors Center at 141 Cherry Street and the nearby DCC Depot at 95 Missouri Street are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays. “King Biscuit Time,” the nation’s longest-running blues radio program, is hosted each weekday at the DCC Visitors Center by “Sunshine” Sonny Payne, from 12:15 to 12:45 p.m.  The DCC’s weekly “Delta Sounds” radio program, focusing on the music and musicians of the Arkansas Delta, is broadcast from the visitors’ center at 1 p.m. on Fridays.