Fire on Monday evening damaged the inside of a Fort Smith restaurant.

Firefighters with the Fort Smith Fire Department at 4:46 p.m. Monday responded to Taipei Restaurant, 2320 Rogers Ave., to extinguish a fire in the kitchen of the restaurant. The fire arose from an employee who left a pan on the gas stove in the kitchen, Fire Marshal Carey "Hootie" St. Cyr with the Fire Department said.

Taipei suffered $85,000 in damage from the fire, St. Cyr said.

"The kitchen was extensively damaged," St. Cyr said. "The rest of the building is salvageable.”

Taipei was closed on Tuesday following the fire, St. Cyr said.