The Helena Arkansas Daily World - Helena, AR
  • Murder suspect arrested

  • Helena-West Helena Police have arrested a 23-year-old man in connection with the Feb. 26 shooting death of Jamil Kirby.
    • email print
  • Helena-West Helena Police have arrested a 23-year-old man in connection with the Feb. 26 shooting death of Jamil Kirby.
    According to a report from the Criminal Investigation Divisions unit of the H-WHPD, Billy Wayne Jobe Jr. has been charged with first degree murder, a Class Y felony.
    The report says police responded to a 911 call from the North 4th Street area of the city. The caller reported that someone had been shot.
    When officers arrived, they found Kirby, 24, shot and lying in the front yard at an East Garland Street address, stated the report. The Helena-West Helena Fire Department and Pafford Ambulance Service also responded to the call.
    Kirby was transported to Helena Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
    Jobe also faces a charge of possession of a firearm by certain persons, a Class B felony.
    Circuit Judge L.T. Simes set Jobe’s bond at $150,000. Jobe is currently in custody but the report did not say at what facility.
    An eyewitness to the incident told The Helena World that Kirby and Jobe had been good friends in the past.
    “They were best friends growing up,” the witness said.
    According to the witness, the incident apparently dated back to a fight the two men had over 5 years ago. The day of the shooting, the witness noted that Jobe allegedly threatened Kirby from a moving vehicle.
    Kirby left his residence at 127 North 5th and headed in the direction of 4th and Garland. The last words he would ever say to his family was, “I will be right back.”
    As Kirby left his residence to confront the man, the eyewitness said, “I tried to follow him but before I could catch up with him, he had already walked into a house where the car he saw earlier was parked outside.” The witness continued, “Then I heard two pops and he [the shooter] ran out of the house, looked at me, nearly running me over, and left the scene.”
    Recalling the event, the witness went on to say that Kirby was in the house less than a minute when she heard the gunfire. “He came running out of the house coughing up blood before he died.”
    “I just want everyone to know that he was a family man. He was at every birthday party and doctor’s visit. His family was his world.”
    Services for Kirby will be Saturday at Newhaven Church at 11 a.m.
Terms of Service

    Events Calendar