Battery C is not a place you would have wanted to be during the morning hours of July 4, 1863, but it is shaping up to be one of the premiere Civil War sites in Arkansas.
As the final touches are put on the hilltop attraction, Misti Staley recently completed the design of a compass rose to add to the interpretation of the site. Battery C will be the third major Civil War Helena site to be completed, following Fort Curtis and Freedom Park.
Battery C was one of four hilltop forts constructed by the Union army during their occupation of the city from 1862-1865. In an effort to check any Confederate threat from the west, the batteries were armed with two cannons each; Battery C was armed with two six-pound field artillery pieces. During General Price's assault on the historic hilltop, originally known as Graveyard Hill, the site was overtaken by Confederates for a short time during the battle. Battery C represents the only breach in the Union line.
When Battery C Park is complet, visitors will get a commanding view of historic downtown Helena and several miles into Mississippi. Interpreted by Mudpuppy and Waterdog, Inc., the site was contracted by Larry Delk and Associates. The site, located at the end of Yorkshire Street, should be open to visitors by early next year.