Governor Mike Beebe announced today that the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, an agency of the Department of Arkansas Heritage, has awarded $2,009,349 in grants for projects in 41 Arkansas counties – including Phillips County – through its County Courthouse Restoration Subgrant, Historic Preservation Revitalization Grant, Certified Local Government Subgrant and Main Street Downtown Revitalization Grant programs.
The Helena Museum of Phillips County received a $37,033 Historic Preservation Restoration Grant for window restoration at the 1891 Helena Library and Museum. The City of Helena-West Helena received a $5,000 Certified Local Government grant for training and administration. Main Street Helena received a $5,700 Downtown Revitalization Grant for projects in the town's historic commercial core.
Sixteen projects shared $440,466 in Historic Preservation Restoration Grants, which distribute funds raised through the Real Estate Transfer Tax to rehabilitate buildings listed on the Arkansas or National Registers of Historic Places and owned by local governments or not-for-profit organizations. Grant requests totaled $1,062,190.
Seventeen recipients shared $89,982 in grants through the AHPP's Certified Local Government program, which is open to Arkansas cities and counties that contain a historic district commission and a historic district protected by a local ordinance, as well as to cities and counties that are seeking to join the CLG program. These grants provide training opportunities to local historic district commissions and can fund other local preservation projects. At least 10 percent of the AHPP's annual appropriation from the federal Historic Preservation Fund goes to CLG cities as grants for local projects. Grant requests totaled $170,143.
There are 19 Arkansas cities in the CLG program: Little Rock, North Little Rock, Fort Smith, Van Buren, Hot Springs, Eureka Springs, Helena-West Helena, Conway, Pine Bluff, Morrilton, Texarkana, Rogers, Russellville, El Dorado, Fayetteville, Batesville, Benton, Osceola and Blytheville.