Believe or not another new year is about to roll over on the calendars. As usual it is a time of resolutions and changes, all in hope of starting again fresh with a clean slate.
Most people make resolutions they cannot or won't keep. After gorging themselves on a delicious Christmas dinner, most plans for change revolve around losing those unwanted extra pounds.
Of course most resolutions are doomed to failure before they ever get off the ground running. However, here are a few tips for enjoying a brighter 2013 and beyond. I am listing them in no particular order. However, some are obviously more important than others.
1. Smile as frequently as possible. You might be surprised just how effective a smile and acknowledgement can be. It has the power to turn someone's day right side up.
2. Keep your misconceptions to yourself. As we all know, Helena-West Helena and Phillips County is a major rumor-manufacturing mill. Don't start or spread rumors about people you don't even know. Stick to the facts.
3. Pledge to help at least one person or organization during the course of the coming year. Change comes with one random act of kindness at a time.
4. Determine to be part of the solution and not the problem. In other words, be positive. Think positive. Find out how you can make a difference in your government and in your community.
5. Come up with an idea that can sway someone's negative way of thinking.
6. Get involved with local government. Don't just sit back and complain. Get out and vote. Attend meetings. Read the newspaper.
7. Turn the other cheek. Avoid getting angry whenever possible. Very few positive things are accomplished in a state of anger. Don't prove others to wrath. When at all possible, leave at peace with all mankind.
8. Be kind, courteous at all times. Almost everyone deserves respect. Give it to them if at all possible.
9. Share the love of God with all people. This involves showing patience and being kind to those who are sometimes not so easy to love.
10. Be at peace with yourself. Respect yourself and others.
Of course I am realistic and realize that keeping all these tips on a daily basis is a nearly impossible task. However, if we could accomplish only a few of them just think what a better place this world would be.
Have a very Happy and prosperous New Year.